Follow me on twitter Its rude to trape in here and not say anything, leave a comment if you like.

NU YORKE

After avoiding the new body scanners at Manchester airport and a seldom turbulence ridden seven-hour flight across the Atlantic we arrived at JFK, terminal eight. Eight terminals. It is massive. There is even a slightly complicated monorail linking this mini-tropolis. This was my first trip to New York and the USA for that matter. The company was the best, the sun was shinning, I had a bit of disposable income and there was a lot to see and do.


The High line is a very attractive public space. Even full of lots of people it seemed very peaceful retreat from the city, albeit in the relatively quiet meatpacking district. Set to be extended in length by three times its current size, I would like to return. It offers a view down the vistas of NY from a height not usually found in the middle of the road. 







A few fleeting moments of serenity between the gaggles of tourists, that I can proudly say I was a part of. Incredible view from the top, not one for a windy day, I may add.




A massive guard dog stopped us from taking photos any closer to the Seagram Building, but once inside I went snap happy on the Jeff Coombs balloon dog. You can just see the reflection of the lift shafts in the shiny sculptor.





 Seems the jury is out at the UN. I remember a picture of the UN building in an old Weetabix encyclopedia I had of as a child. I was disappointed to see it closed like this.


But was he racist? 

Fantastic day for Frisbee at Coney Island. Its like Blackpool minus bingo, plus hotdogs, divided by donkeys.



The rest of the day in Brooklyn was brilliant. Stumbled upon the Brewery, had a swift pint of Brooklyn White beer, ate some tasty vegetarian food, gawped at the hipsters of Williamsburg and visited the second beach of the day to watch the sunset over Manhattan Island.





A day spent uptown. A squirrel poo landed on me as we strolled through central park. The Guggenheim was far too expensive for us; the Met drained us of energy and turtles ate our lunch. 








I’m a bridge and tunnel kinda guy.


Apparently they will be massive in the UK soon.



Guerilla photography at PRADA.




This ice cream van did Earl Grey Ice cream. If I hadn’t have been so full of cupcakes, I’d have ordered one with a flake and red sauce.




I guess someone has to.




Grouting for Greenland was just around the corner.





Portable police tower at Times Square…to protect and survey. 


 
The last few hours of the trip were spent here at the New Museum of Contemporary Art. A very interesting form seemed to translate into rather pokey, uninspiring gallery spaces. 



No comments:

Post a Comment